Friday 31 August 2012

A Midsummer Tempest III


Shakespeare sometimes ends a passage with a rhyme. Could there be an alternative universe where this regularly happens? In Poul Anderson's A Midsummer Tempest (London, 1975):

"For Fortune's wheel has many turns to go, and where 'tis bound for, none but God may know." (p. 30)

" 'Well, camarado, let's prepare to sail, while tide is ebb and wind not yet a gale.' " (p. 56)

" 'The hounds are baying, Ironsides, away! We'll have the sun erelong to see our prey.' " (p. 65)

" 'Here's brew, whole casks o' nut-brown yale! We'll not go thirsty, though we may go stale.'
" 'Our prize's tank and tender are quite full'...'To Stoke or further were a steady pull, save that for speed, we must first turn around, and send that message'...'So we'll seize the ground.' " (p. 76)

" 'Wilt thou be first, good Sergeant Righteous Gerson? Thou canst then hear me practice my next sermon.' " (p. 143) 

" 'Aye, go. We'd best not closet us o'erlong like this...'
" 'But soon I'll deal for one poor dram of bliss.' " (p. 150)

"Then be my compass, old enchanted ring...I wonder, wouldst thou care to hear me sing." (p. 160)

" 'I promised ere I soared into the air, no other lips than hers would tell thee this...A very unpretending kind of kiss...Steer yonderwards!...This time thou shalt not miss!' " (p. 181)

" 'Ah, well, beloved, let's to our repose. The world and time have also need for crows.' " (p. 186)

" 'Thou'rt far too good for me. But so's the sun. God gives with spendthrift hand. His will be done.' " (p. 203)

" 'Let a new Parliament be called to us, and with us write new laws which long may stand because they serve the welfare of our land.' " (p. 223)

" 'Fare always well'...'Titania, away!'...
" 'Come, darling, let's get home before the day.' " (p. 227)

I read Poul's text too many years ago and what he did with language did not know.

No comments: