Tuesday 16 April 2013

Where We Are At


Thank you to all the readers of this blog, ninety six so far today. For me, another week in Leicester away from the computer approaches. Meanwhile, I continue to post more on James Blish Appreciation than on Poul Anderson Appreciation although this cannot last if only because of Blish's much smaller output.

Other time-consuming activities are physical exercise, family outings and learning Latin, currently by reading extracts from Caesar's Gallic Wars, thus also learning some history relevant to Anderson's historical fiction, the longer term aim being to read Virgil's Aeneid, beloved by Poul and Karen Anderson's Romano-British character, Gratillonius, the last King of Ys.

On the agenda for this blog are reading A World Named Cleopatra, then rereading Twilight World and several other one-off novels but, since this is a retirement activity, there is no hurry about it. I blog only about fiction that I am interested in reading, not about what I think there is an audience for. Nevertheless, it is good to know that others still value Poul Anderson.

17 April, 2013: 107 pageviews by the end of yesterday.

2 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

It seems to me you mostly focus on the NOVELS Poul Anderson wrote, which I agree certainly deserves to be read and commented on. But, Anderson also wrote hundreds of short stories which were eventually collected into books. I think the very first of his story collections was STRANGERS FROM EARTH.

I know you prefer his longer works, but I think Anderson's stories also deserve to be read and commented on.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean, if I keep going long enough, then I will get to short stories after novels! Of course, you (or anyone else) are invited to email an article on, say, what you think are PA's best six short stories? My next post here should be on his Cleopatra story.