Friday 12 July 2013

Revisions

(Signing off till 22 July.)

Although I can tell by rereading it that the revised version of Poul Anderson's "Tiger by the Tail" is a richer narrative with, for example, a fuller account of the Schotani Empire, I do not propose to make a line by line comparison between the two versions. I soon abandoned this idea with "Margin of Profit." Nevertheless, I urge every sf fan to read the story, in both versions if they can get them.

Flandry becomes a slave but also a highly respected adviser in the Scothani Empire and uses his position to subvert that empire. Thus, he suggests that a tax collector should increase his income by farming out tax collecting. This, of course, leads to murder of tax gatherers, concealment of property and guerrilla resistance. Asked for further advice, he then suggests, among other measures, "...propaganda shifting the blame onto scapegoats..." (Captain Flandry, Riverdale, NY, 2010, p. 265).

Someone might read this with a knowing smile about how cleverly Flandry, who is in fact the title character of this short story, subverts the regime. In fact:

"He did not add that these methods work only when skillfully administered." (ibid.)

But how do "these methods...work"? Blame the Jews, the Blacks, the Irish, Catholics, immigrants... No thank you, Flandry, I would not like to be a Terran subject learning that such tactics had been instigated on my behalf.

6 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I fear I have to disagree with your last paragragh, criticizing the methods used by Flandry in ending the threat posed by Scotha to the Terran Empire. Aren't the methods of intrigue and psychological warfare better if using them will prevent untold loss of life and property? After all, Scotha was making plans to wage war on the Empire, which means it was Flandry's duty to do what he could to prevent Scotha from attacking the Empire. And Flandry's subverting of Scotha saved Scothan lives by whole orders of magnitude. And Terran lives (human and non human) of course!

Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I would like to revise my first sentence: "I fear I have to disagree with your note, criticzing the methods used by Flandry in ending the threat posed by Scotha to the Terran Empire."

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

I agree Flandry had to subvert Scotha but that one method, "...propaganda shifting the blame onto scapegoats..." is not one that I would want him to use.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Welome back from your trip. Now I understand better what you meant. BUT, the clear implication I got from Flandry's remarks to "Earl" Morgaar was that he did not expect the avaricious Scothan to have the skill needed to successfully implement the subtle advice the Terran gave.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Inept scapegoating would not restabilize the regime but would still be scapegoating. This is something that I am always against and not only because of what it led to in Nazi Germany. My mother's family were Irish Catholics and my son-in-law is Jewish.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Of course I agree with you on the immorality of scapegoating.

Sean