Tuesday 3 September 2013

The Horn Of Time The Hunter

Moving on within Poul Anderson's Going For Infinity (New York, 2002), we come to "The Horn of Time the Hunter," an evocative title. The word "time" is always good, even when not involving time travel.

So far, four series have been represented:

the Technic Civilization History;
the Psychotechnic History;
the Time Patrol;
the Kith -

- although the first two were not acknowledged. Anderson's comments merely focused on the individual stories.

Regarding the Kith, in "The Horn of Time...," Anderson explains his thinking: time dilated space travelers would develop their own culture and might sometimes be ostracized on Earth? Good thinking, Anderson.

I have said that this story should be published as an appendix to Starfarers, which does incorporate the two other Kith stories. Anderson explains:

"I was going to incorporate "The Horn of Time the Hunter" as well, but Karen convinced me that it was too dark." (p. 137)

I respectfully disagree.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed "The Horn of Time the Hunter" by itself, but I have to agree that it wouldn't fit well with the cheerful ending of the novel.

Regards, Nicholas

Paul Shackley said...

Nicholas,
But it would make sense as an epilogue? I think related works should be collected together so that is where I would put it in a Complete Works.
Paul.