Saturday 16 November 2013

A Week Away

From today, Saturday 16 November, until Saturday 23 November, I am away from home with my lap top but without immediate access to the internet. I have brought only one Poul Anderson book, Is There Life On Other Worlds?, which I have nearly finished reading although there is more to be posted about it.

The objects of the trip are to visit places of interest, possibly to include Hadrian's Wall, the opening setting of The King Of Ys, and also to catch up with Latin reading. There will therefore be fewer posts for a while.

When I do post next, it will be to discuss:

Anderson's ideas about radio communication with extra-Solar civilizations;
his suggestions about interstellar travel;
further connections between Is There Life...? and Anderson's sf.

Critical discussion of Anderson's various fiction and non-fiction works entails serious discussions of politics, economics, philosophy, logic, astrobiology, mythology and history, to name only the first seven disciplines that come to mind. I will be interested if any blog reader can suggest another writer of fantasy or sf who has such a wide range of interests and knowledge?

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I hope you have a good time while away. Visiting the Wall of Hadrian? Good! And Eboracum was where Magnus Clemens Maximus met with C. Valerius Gratillonius before sending him to Ys as prefect.

I can't think of many SF writers who had as wide a range of interests and knowledge of Poul Anderson. Perhaps Avram Davidson, Jerry Pournelle, or S.M. Stirling? But none of these three excellent writers expressed the sheer range of interests/knowledge we see in the works of Poul Anderson.

Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I forgot to ask in my previous note whether you had gotten the link to an article I sent you from "Centauri Dreams" listing and commenting on SETI and space colonizing/traveling books? The books listed in that article would be among the successors to Anderson's IS THERE LIFE ON OTHER WORLDS? I'm esp. interested in the works written by Paul Gilster and Robert Zubrin (I already have Zubrin's THE CASE FOR MARS).

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Yes, I received the link. Thanks. Just didn't have time to acknowledge it. I have posted a lot today but will not maintain this rate all week.
144 page views yesterday. 236 so far today with over 2 hours till midnight. But page views are high only when my posting is high.
Paul.

Paul Shackley said...

Now 239 but i will switch off soon.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

239 visitors? Good! And what I keep hoping for is for more persons to leave their own comments in the combox!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

It was 310 by the end of the day and 60 so far (10:01 am) today.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Good! The better known this blog becomes, the more likely more people will leave their own thoughts and comments in the combox.

Sean