Friday 22 November 2013

The End Of The Week

Today, Friday, we were in the 1496 Inn on Kirkstone Pass between Lakes Windermere and Ullswater.

Tomorrow, Saturday, we return to the historic city of Lancaster.

On Sunday, my daughter Aileen and I will attend an anti-fascist campaign event in Liverpool.

Monday should be a return to life as normal which, for me, could mean gym, Zen group and starting to reread another Poul Anderson volume or maybe reading a Hoka book for the first time.

Tuesday afternoon will be Latin class. Hannibal has crossed the Alps and is fighting a Roman army but I need to read more of Livy's account.

Wednesday evening should be the Uncanny League of Astonishing Amazers, a comics fan group into which an sf fan splinter group has merged.

Thursday evening will be a political meeting in the city of Preston, that ancient hotbed of Catholicism, "priest town," still full of Roman schools, churches, colleges, convents and a religious order's retreat house, with a haloed Lamb and Cross on the city logo, but now also the setting for mosques, a mandir (Hindu temple), a Gurdwara (Sikh temple), a Buddhist Centre and pagan moots (meetings). When in Preston during the day, I meditate in a city centre Catholic church and visit the mandir.

On Friday, the last working day of the month, my pension should arrive to help pay for these activities.

6 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Was this "city centre Catholic church" the church of St. Thomas of Canterbury and the English Martyrs? Your comments about Preston got me interested and I looked it up. The town is part of the Catholic diocese of Lancaster.

And to mention something Poul Anderson related, I'm on chapter 5 of IS THERE LIFE ON OTHER WORLDS? Much of what he said about terrestrials, super terrestrials, sub jovians, super jovians, etc., reminds me of the discoveries I've read about in "Centauri Dreams." Which means a good deal of what Anderson speculated about has been confirmed!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
No, St Wilfrid's, run by Jesuits.
Preston is part of the Catholic diocese of Lancaster but Lancaster is part of the Anglican diocese of Blackburn!
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

St. Wilfrid's, got it! Yes, the article I looked up said Preston was part of the Blackburn Anglican diocese.

Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Thought it might interest you to know I've been rereading some of the older pieces on this blog, focusing on June and July of this year. I'm esp. interested in your comments about John K. Hord's analysis of history and how that influenced the works of Poul Anderson

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Thank you. I have hoped that sometimes people read past posts. I am having a lull in adding new ones at present.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

NOTHING wrong with taking a lull from commenting on the works of Poul Anderson. You must be the single most VOLUMINOUS analyst of Anderson's works. Time, perhaps, for both you and your blog readers to take stock of what you have written to date. That might insprire new thoughts and insights.

Still reading IS THERE LIFE ON OTHER WORLDS? Not sure which of Anderson's other books I'll read next.

Sean