Saturday 8 February 2014

Unstable Space-Time II

Poul Anderson, Time Patrol (New York, 2006).

By investigating Veleda's new religious movement, the Time Patrol caused it. But why did they investigate? This could have been a simple causal circle. For example, if Jens Ulstrup, Patrol ethnographer in residence among the German barbarians, had reported a new movement that contradicted the records, then they would have had to investigate. However, Ulstrup was unaware of the new myths until Everard and Floris, already investigating, alerted him to them.

In the timeline guarded by the Patrol, Tacitus records that Veleda helped to arrange the armistice that ended the Northern revolt. Sociologists studying Rome in the early second century acquire an altered text, "Tacitus Two," according to which Veleda instead preached against peace and, with a big following, began to change German religion in a way that in turn can be expected to change European history. I think that such an altered text could only be acquired in the alternative timeline described by that same altered text. However, Everard and Floris, investigating, travel to the period of the Northern revolt from the twentieth century of the timeline guarded by the Patrol.

Arriving during the revolt, they necessarily arrive at a date earlier than the acquisition of Tacitus Two, which describes an alternative ending to the revolt. Yet they have come from a future in which Tacitus One gives the historically accurate account of the end of the revolt. This looks like a contradiction. Either timeline can exist but not both.

I suggested a solution in correspondence with Poul Anderson. As Floris tells Everard, sociologists studying Rome and wanting to consult Tacitus acquired a contemporary copy rather than "...send uptime for a data file." (p. 486) If they had simply extracted a copy of Tacitus Two from a contemporary library, then they would already have been in the altered timeline. Therefore, the twentieth century guarded by the Patrol and containing both Everard and Floris would not have existed in their future.

Instead, let us say this. The sociologists were in Rome at a time when the Tacitus One and Tacitus Two versions of events were both potential futures. Unable to enter an immediately contemporary library without being noticed by the locals, one of the sociologists instead traveled a short distance uptime to a moment when he would be able to enter a library unobserved. By doing this, he entered the potential Tacitus Two timeline. He returned with a copy to a moment when Tacitus One and Tacitus Two were still both potentials. From that moment, it was possible to communicate with the twentieth century of the Tacitus One timeline.

This idea is an addition to the physics of time travel already established in the series but it is the only way that I can account for the existence of a Tacitus Two text in a Tacitus One timeline.

17 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Very interesting scenario, if rather complex! How did Poul Anderson respond?

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
When I (sometimes) pointed out an inconsistency/contradiction/problem etc but then offered a solution, Poul Anderson said that he accepted the answer I had given and would keep my letters on file for reference in case he wrote any more Time Patrol stories.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Thanks! And do you see any trace of Anderson using your suggestion in THE SHIELD OF TIME?

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
No. My correspondence with PA was later than THE SHIELD OF TIME. I hoped he would write more after that, and he did consider it.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Darn! And the very last Time Patrol story, "Death and the Knight," was too short to need that kind of subtle and complex plot development.

I think I myself may have personally affected Poul Anderson's writing in a minor way. In my very first letter to him in 1978, I used words like "usurp," "usurpation," in reference to how Hans Molitor came to be Emperor (however reluctantly). Terms you don't see in, say, THE REBEL WORDS or A KNIGHT OF GHOSTS AND SHADOWS. Apparently, Anderson found those words appropriate and used them in A STONE IN HEAVEN and THE GAME OF EMPIRE.

It pleases me to think I may have slightly influenced how Poul Anderson wrote!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Yes, indeed!

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I wrote a total of 24 letters to Poul Anderson between 1978 and 1994--and he replied with great patience and kindness to every one of my sometimes far too long and argumentative letters. In fact, Anderson did me the honor of saying he found my letters interesting!

The 1990s, of course, was when Poul Anderson was in the late phase of his writing career and life, when he was writing the four HARVEST OF STARS books. I admit the ideas and themes in those books were so strange and difficult to me that it needed rereading by me before I could properly grasp how bold and excellent they were. That's the principal reason why I, to my regret, wrote no letters to Anderson during the last seven years of his life. By the time I had somewhat "grokked" (to use a term from Heinlein) them, along with GENESIS, and was starting too slowly to form ideas which might lead to another letter, Anderson was dead.

I'm a bit annoyed by the typo in my previous comment, misspelling THE REBEL WORLDS as the THE REBEL WORDS. But combox mistakes don't matter too much as long as the meaning is clear from context!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
- especially when some of us don't notice the mistakes until you draw attention to them!
In his later years, Anderson was not rehashing but writing new stuff that you needed time to assimilate. What a writer!
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

True! And THE REBEL WORDS almost makes sense! (Smiles) But, I try to be far more careful to avoid such mistakes in the guest pieces I write which you kindly post in your blog.

Exactly! Unlike Robert Heinlein, Sir Arthur Clarke, and Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson was not content to rest on his laurels and past achievements. He continue to think boldly and work on strange and difficult new concepts. That's why his later works are, in some ways, superior to many of his early and middle stories. And, yes, I needed time to ponder and assimiate them.

Far as I'm concerned, Poul Anderon is one of the top five SF writers who ever wrote!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Well, there is an obvious question there...
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

MORE typos in my previous note! Exasperating! (Smiles)

I think you mean it's an open question who should be counted among the greatest top five of SF writers? True, I agree. And maybe there should be more than five listed as the greatest of science fiction writers. Jules Verne and H.G. Wells should be on such a list because of how they were the fathers of modern SF in so many ways. I would next include Olaf Stapledon and Edgar Rice Burroughs. That should do for early SF.

And, yes, I would have to next include Robert Heinlein, Sir Arthur Clarke, and Isaac Asimov, at least for their best and most influential works. Then comes Poul Anderson. And possibly Ray Bradbury? That makes five more writers.

Then comes a few writers who wrote only one or a few works we now consider seminal or great. Such as JRR Tolkien, Walter Miller, Frank Herbert, and James Blish, Alfred Bester. After this, such lists gets more and more controversible and debatable!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
No, I meant who are your 5? I suppose mine would be Wells, Stapledon, early Heinlein, Anderson and Blish.
What did Tolkien do that was sf?
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I'm sorry, I was unclear, it seems. If I was asked list ONLY the top five of all SF writers, they would be Wells, Stapledon, the early Heinlein, early Clarke, and Poul Anderson.

Again, I was unclear, as regards Tolkien. His influence has been MASSIVE in fantasy, not SF. But Tolkien, as we know from his letters, liked and read SF. And the fragments we have of his unfinished "Notion Club Papers" was his attempt at writing an SF novel. Alas, it was a failure. Tolkien's true forte was in fantasy.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
So we only differ in one of our top 5.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Yes, I noticed that. You included Blish while I put in Clarke. Not because I particularly LIKED most of Clarke's work, but because of how important in many ways 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, and CHILDHOOD'S END has been. I note with some regret how Clarke is far better known than James Blish.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
I find Blish much more imaginative and rigorous than Clarke. My James Blish Appreciation blog is much shorter than Poul Anderson Appreciation only because Blish's output is so much smaller.
I have never even thought of starting an Arthur Clarke Appreciation.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Yes, I agree with you in preferring Blish's works over those of Clarke. Altho I do like Clarke's TALES OF THE WHITE HART, to be fair to him. Blish, however, is more likely to be reread by me than the works of Clarke.

Sean