Friday 9 May 2014

Some Projected Blogs

We have returned from the Isle of Wight to Lancaster. I am back online and intending to post about Daven Laure and the Commonalty Rangers.

The next idea is to generate some spin-off blogs, e.g., Poul Anderson's Cosmic Environments will start by copying posts from this blog that summarize information about Anderson's imaginary extra-solar environments:

Diomedes;
Merseia;
Avalon;
Aeneas;
Satan;
Mirkheim;
Vixen;
Ramnu;
Daedalus;
Nike;
the Cloud Universe;
etc.

The current blog, Poul Anderson Appreciation, has now been running for over two years. Posts linked by any common theme like "cosmic environments" or "time travel" are lost among the many others discussing diverse aspects of Anderson's works. Collecting themed posts will make it easier to read or reread these posts in sequence and might also inspire new contributions on the particular theme.

Another suggested spin-off blog is one that will publish posts about Poul Anderson written by anyone other than the originator of Poul Anderson Appreciation. There are so far about half a dozen articles by one other contributor. These can form the basis of a new blog but the idea will then be to invite anyone and everyone else also to submit articles for publication. I hope that the new Anderson-related anthology, Multiverse, will inspire some of our readers to write about what they have read.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Welcome back from the wilds of southern England! (Smiles) I hope you had a good time on the Isle of Wight. Did you tour Queen Victoria's favorite country villa, Osborne House? Assuming it was open to the public, of course.

Thanks for the nice allusion to my own contributions on your blog. I really need to hunt up how many I wrote. About ten? I too hope other fans will offer you articles about Poul Anderson and his works.

Btw, I finally got my copy of MULTIVERSE!!! I'm looking foward, with some trepidation, to starting to read that book this weekend. I said "trepidation" because I'm feeling some anxiety about how well and respectfully other authors handled characters and "worlds" created by Poul Anderson.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
With limited time, we did not visit Osborne House, which I believe is good, but we did visit Carisbrooke Castle where Charles I was held prisoner.
Everybody,
Sean has MULTIVERSE so others must also. Who will be first with comments here?
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I'm reminded of the week I spent in Rome for the Holy Year in 2000. It was impossible to visit every site I would have liked to see in Rome due to the limited time I had! (Smiles)

I'll be looking up Carisbrooke Castle. I knew Charles I was kept prisoner somewhere like that before being taken to London to die.

And I hope MULTIVERSE does inspire me to write something. Currently reading David Wingrove's THE BROKEN WHEEL, part of his CHUNG KUO series.

Sean