Sunday 1 June 2014

Another Country And Another Blog

OK. Tomorrow, we travel to Scotland and I will not be blogging again until the weekend. Meanwhile, I am drafting a new post for the Poul Anderson's Cosmic Environments blog, which does not receive as many page views!

I like the idea of a parallel blog and also of a blog that gathers together all the environmental information. Anderson's many-sided universes warrant more than a single linear commentary.

No matter how often I have reread A Stone In Heaven, I had never retained the details of the Ramnuan system until I had made the extra effort to study and summarize Anderson's account. By doing this, I reconstruct the background work that the author had to do in order to envisage this planetary system before recounting a narrative set among Ramnu and its moons, although the reader is then free to skip past the background and simply follow the story.

The next novel, The Game of Empire, is set in the fascinating Patrician system, which also deserves closer attention.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I hope you have a good time in Scotland and that it's not too cold and wet while you are there.

And I will pay more attention to your "Cosmic Environments" blog, to see what you say about how PA built his worlds.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Thank you. As yet the PACE blog is mainly "reprints" although I find it helpful to have them gathered together but the five most recent posts are little summaries of aspects of Ramnu and, of course, readers can point out if I have missed any points or got the details wrong.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

It makes sense to have different kinds of pieces organized like that!

Sean