Wednesday 25 June 2014

Flandry On Scotha

Having learned Frithian, the principle language of Scotha, en route, Flandry begins his subversion as soon as he is presented to King Penda. Based on Imperial experience, he advises the king to respect his subjects, for example by installing radiant heating for the benefit of visiting nobles of non-Scothan species. Glancing around the hall, he sees "...dissatisfaction on many faces..." - and also catches the eye of the queen.
-Poul Anderson, Captain Flandry: Defender Of The Terran Empire (New York, 2010), p. 258.

This is followed by carefully manipulative conversations with:

General Nartheof;
Prince Torric;
Earl Morgaar;
Queen Gunli;
Sviffash of Sithafar;
Duke Asdagar -

- and a concluding sword fight with Prince Cerdic as the Terran Navy easily overpowers the space fleets of a disintegrating realm. It will be instructive to analyze these conversations. However, my present destination is the realm of the Lord Morpheus.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I would be very interested in any commentary you give analyzing the subversive conversations Flandry held with various Scothanians and non Scothanians. My view is that the sardonic "Tiger by the Tail" makes for a very realistic and plausible study on how to practice subversion of a hostile power. I recall as well Sandra Miesel comparing that story to Samuel L. Clemens "The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg," altho I've not read that particular story.

Sean

Jim Baerg said...

My parents had a copy of collected works (I don't *think* all of them) of Mark Twain.
It included "The Man That Corrupted Hadleyburg", & I read it when quite young. I see from Googling that Project Gutenberg has it available. It is a fairly short work & worth reading.

I notice one thing in the version I read that is missing from the version I see from Project Gutenberg. Two versions of the town seal before & after the events of the story.
The before version with
"Lead Us Not Into Temptation"
The after version with
"Lead Us Into Temptation"

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

Well, Twain was indulging in satire and sardonic comedy! Some of Jonathan Swift's satires comes to mind as well: GULLIVER'S TRAVELS and "A Modest Proposal."

Ad astra! Sean