Wednesday 21 January 2015

Genesis, Part One, Chapter VIII

New domestic responsibilities are catching up with me at this end, folks. Someone who has just had a hip replacement operation needs a lot of support.

Of Poul Anderson's Genesis, Part One, only the elegaic Chapter VIII remains to be discussed and its most striking feature has been discussed before. This book cover shows the couple and their city, I think.

Chapter VII, about a Christian Brannock upload, informed us that a network of intelligences converses across interstellar distances and Part Two will begin at that level of discourse. Like his imagined post-organic intelligences, Poul Anderson continually transcended himself and this blog will follow him there.


5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I am aware of how Mrs. Shackley had a very serious operation recently and that she needs a lot of help just now. So I know blogging here will have to slow down for a while. Again, you have my good wishes for Mrs. Shackley's continuing and complete recovery!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Thank you, Sean. Sheila watches GK Chesterton's Father Brown on afternoon television. She was at University with the woman who plays his housekeeper.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

That was interesting, that your wife knows the woman who played the housekeeper in the Fr. Brown movies.

I too have read Chesterton's Fr. Brown stories, and I still have the books, the works of Chesterton being keepers. And your comment above made me realize I don't recall any of those stories showing Fr. Brown as being at HOME in his rectory. My recollection is always seeing him away from his home.

We both know Poul Anderson was almost as big a fan of Chesterton as he was of Rudyard Kipling. The mentions of Chesterton in THE BYWORLDER being one example of how he is sometimes mentioned in PA's works.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
I strongly suspect that this TV series is authentic as to the characters but not to the plots!
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

Darn! I'm reminded of how angry I am with Peter Jackson for the horrible botch he made of THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS. Far too often, movies "based" on books are anything but faithful to the plot of the books. I went to see the third HOBBIT movie while in Hawaii not because I expected an accurate cinemaic retelling, but to see how bad it was. Answer, it was pretty bad, but not quite as terrible as the second Hobbit movie.

I've suggested before that any film producer who wants to make a movie based on one of the works of Poul Anderson should start with one of his short stories. I cited "The Game of Glory" as one possibility because if filmed in, say, the Bahamas, a minimum of special effects would be needed. IOW, it would be also be a "trainer" film for the director and producer.

Sean