Saturday 31 January 2015

The End Of The Month

Greetings from Lancaster (see image).

This may be the last post for January (but February begins tomorrow):

this lap top can be slow;
I have other things going on;
I think that I have squeezed the life blood out of Poul Anderson's Genesis, at least for the time being;
right now, Modesty Blaise is proving more attractive than the Virgin of Valkarion.

Thank you for all the page views: 64 so far today when I checked a few moments ago. From Lancaster, we can drive around Morecambe Bay into the Lake District hills, in the background of the image. From a village called Grange over Sands (because it is possible to walk across the sands of the Bay when the tide is out), we can sit in a cafe, look across to Lancaster and see the Castle. Maybe this weekend.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I've read that Lancaster is one of two duchies in the UK, despite having been merged into the Crown, it's still administered somewhat differently from the rest of the UK. The Duchy of Cornwall is unique as being the appanage reserved for Princes of Wales, and is also administered some what differently.

And I've read your many notes about GENESIS with interest. I plan to reread it after I finish WOULD YOU BAPTIZE AN EXTRATERRRESTRIAL?, by Br. Guy Consolmagno and Fr. Paul Muellar.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
I am sure we have discussed this before? - But the Duke of Lancaster is the Queen of England as the Duke of Cornwall is the Prince of Wales/Heir to the Throne. In practice, I am not sure how we are administered differently. The Castle, now open to the public, remains the property of the Duchy. The Queen could bestow the Dukedom on some worthy citizen, of course...
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

I was interested enough to check up a bit on this. Technically, what happened was the Duchy of Lancaster was permanently "merged" into the Crown after Henry IV deposed Richard II. I got the impression that the Duchy was thought too rich and powerful for any king to feel safe bestowing it on anyone else. Altho, of course, her Majesty COULD do that, if she so chose. By now, while there are still a few differences, I don't think either Lancaster or Cornwall are administered THAT differently from the rest of the UK. Simply the PASSING of time seems to have eroded away most of those differences.

Sean