Wednesday 1 April 2015

Non-Interference

SM Stirling, The Sky People (New York, 2006).

Good morning. A new month and a new post.

"...Non-interference as far as humanly possible was official doctrine..." (p. 208)

Sounds familiar - Prime Directive, Starfleet, Time Patrol, Okies. It is as if this principle has proliferated between universes. However, Poul Anderson also presents the opposite perspective. His Allied Planets set out to re-civilize human populations that had been isolated during the Long Night and, in at least three different Anderson stories that have been discussed on this blog, aliens among us secretly manipulate Terrestrial civilization for good or ill.

Which stories? This time, instead of listing titles or giving links, I invite page viewer participation in remembering three - or maybe more? - stories that fit this description. Meanwhile, SM Stirling's "Lords of Creation" series - a designation bestowed on the mysterious planet designers by the viewpoint character, Marc - continues to be an enjoyable read. I have yet to finish reading the first of the three installments.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Dang it! My previous attempt at leaving a note here failed to show up.

Your comment asking readers to list a few examples from Poul Anderson's works using the idea of aliens secretly manipulating Terrestrial civilization for good or ill made me remember some. These were: the early novel THE WAR OF TWO WORLDS, "No Truce With Kings," and THE AVATAR. With the aliens of THE AVATAR being by far the least intrusive and harmful.

I've also thought of "Peek! I See You!" But that's more a humorous treatment by Anderson of the belief many that aliens regularly visit Earth. I mean those who believe in UFOs. Anderson, being Anderson, treated such people kindly and with respect, the humor in the story being quite gentle.

Truth to say, I think UFOs are POSSIBLE. I simply don't know if UFOs have ever come to our Earth. I even wish I could be like my fellow "Sean" in "Peek" and actually see a genuine UFO and meet real aliens! (Smiles)

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Kaor, Sean,
Thank you for your response. I will re-address this issue shortly.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Many thanks! But I have to go to work now. I will respond to your new note after I come home.

Sean