Thursday 28 May 2015

Three Thousand Years Of Peace

Poul Anderson, Starfarers (New York, 1999).

Nansen's Terrestrial hostess says that the planet has had "'Three thousand years of peace.'" (p. 459)

Nansen replies, "'Thanks to...Selador.'" (ibid.)

- and thinks: Who seems to have done better than the Christ they seem to have forgotten. (ibid.)

Selador has not done better than Christ. Nanotechnology has abolished want and therefore also conflict for material resources. Result: peace. Selador happens to be the religious founder whose name is still quoted.

Zeyd witnesses a ritual in a clearing in a rain forest:

"'In the name of Selador...oneness.'" (pp. 460-461)

Oneness, yes. "In the name of..." is a formula in which any name could have filled in the blank. I hardly need list some of the obvious alternatives. The voices grow shrill as the congregation chants, "'...bring down the falsehoods of the Biosophists...'" (p. 461) I think that that is unlikely. A philosophy that has been global for three millennia will not still chant the names of its defeated opponents. The Anglican Communion does not ritually denounce the falsehoods of the Mithraists or the Manichaeans.

On the other hand, if such conflicts really are still so close to the surface, then Zeyd was right when he "...wondered how serene Earth really was and how long its peace could endure." (ibid.)

Today, I have done other reading and this evening have attended our small sf group. Nevertheless, when I return home and read a few pages of Anderson, I find plenty to post about so it seems that there will a few more posts this month. Anderson always addresses key questions like:

What do people believe?
How does it affect their behavior?
How is society held together?
How long can stability - or apparent stability - last?
How do people respond to change, especially if it has long been delayed?
What should the minority who value change do in any situation? (The situations change with history.)

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I've wondered, what does your SF group likes to talk about? Favorite authors, of course, I'm sure. For you, that would be Poul Anderson and perhaps occasional mention of S.M. Stirling. Which authors do other members of your group like?

I've also wondered if some members of this group might also contribute essays to this blog: either about PA, James Blish, or H.G. Wells, to name a few.\

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Our "group" is a very small remnant and off-shoot of a "society" that began in '76 and is long gone. The group is little more than myself, Kevin and anyone else we invite. My dedication to Poul Anderson and the Time Patrol is well known. Kevin used to be a very big fan of Philip Jose Farmer but I think no longer reads sf and, like some other British sf groups, we often just meet to talk about anything. There used to be a MAD (Manchester and District Science Fiction, Philosophical, Literary and Artistic Debating Society and Drinking Association) group.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Gotcha! And I think you sometimes go to SF conventions as well. I really should try that myself. I regret saying I hardly know anybody in PERSON who shares my interest in SF and F. You are lucky to know a few like that!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
I have not been a great con goer. The relatively recent World Con in London was ruled out on cost grounds at the time although I think that I will be able to cope the next time there is a World Con on this island.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Or, before the next time a Worldcon is held in the UK you might try a smaller, local convention. Some think those are better than the really large cons. More manageable, if nothing else!

Sean