Saturday 22 August 2015

Some Parallels Between Collective And Individual Psychology

SM Stirling's Drakians/Draka, granted a territory and wanting to possess it, "had to" enslave the natives and conquer new territory. Thus, their philosophy became Conquest and Domination. Now, they must maintain their control in order to survive physically. However, imagine that they had instead wanted only to live peacefully in the granted territory, coexisting with the natives. Then, they would have survived as a community and also as part of a wider society.

Does something similar occur in individual psychology? I believe that the universe is conscious of itself through every sentient organism. "-self" identifies the subject and object of an action. Thus, we say not that the man killed the man but that the man killed himself. "-self" need not entail consciousness. Thus, when two mirrors face each other, each reflects itself in the other. Although I am an instrument of universal self-consciousness, I am primarily aware of myself as a psycho-physical organism with particular wants and fears. My mental activity has been not the perception of the universe by itself but the imagining of scenarios centered on myself. Thus, I am like the Draka inside my own head.

2 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

To my annoyance and frustration, I'm going to be delayed finishing and sending you my new article. I find it necessary to take my PC to a computer hospital to be cleaned out of viruses/malware, etc., and have new firewalls/security software installed. I don't know how long this will take.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
I understand how frustrating that is. I hope that I do not have problems with my laptop just as you get your PC fixed!
The Draka are fascinating, a brilliant invention that has made me reflect on society and psychology. I have yet to finish reading MTG and will shortly order vol 2.
Paul.