Wednesday 2 September 2015

Side Chapels And Poul Anderson

I mentioned here and here that, when I meditate in a side chapel (in fact the Parr Chapel) of Kendal Parish Church, I sit beside the tomb (see image) of the grandfather of the sixth wife of Henry VIII. She was Catherine Parr. In Poul Anderson's The Corridors Of Time, time travelers fly above England during the Queenship of Henry's second wife, Anne Boleyn.

When I meditate in a side chapel of the Jesuit Catholic Church of St Wilfrid in Preston, I sit before a statue of St Francis Xavier, "the Apostle to the East," who converted many Indians and Japanese and died before he would have entered China. Poul Anderson's extra-terrestrial character Axor has converted to Jerusalem Catholicism, has been ordained in the (fictional and ironic) Galilean Order, has taken the name "Francis Xavier" and travels through the known galaxy not in order to convert other aliens directly but in order to find evidence for a non-human Incarnation in the belief that this would vindicate Christianity. Historical Jesuits and fictional Galileans include scientists. (There is a Jesuit biologist in James Blish's A Case Of Conscience.)

In the Hindu Temple in Preston, I sit beneath images of gods including Krishna who is revered by Athelstane King in SM Stirling's The Peshawar Lancers. I also respect the Krishna of the Bhagavad Gita as the teacher of karma yoga, the way of non-attached action. Thus, even day trips to Kendal or Preston generate subject matter for blogging.

10 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Why did you think it "ironic" that Fr. Francis Xavier Axor, who is seen in THE GAME OF EMPIRE, was a member of the Galilean Order? I can think of two ways Poul Anderson meant that name: (1) he was playing on the name of the astronomer Galileo Galilei to indicate that order's interest in the sciences; or (2) it was meant to allude to Our Lord, who is sometimes called "the Galilean."

And mentioning how you sometimes meditate near the tomb of Catherine Parr's grandfather reminded me of how Poul Anderson mentions two tombs in the Technic History: the tomb Emperor Georgios' remains would soon occupy in ENSIGN FLANDRY, and the tomb of St. Kossara before which Gospodar Bodin Miyatovich often prayed in A KNIGHT OF GHOSTS AND SHADOWS. It would be interesting and thought provoking to contemplate both tombs!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
I took the Galilean Order to be named after Galileo. Thus, the irony would be a scientific religious order named after a scientist who had been in conflict with the Church?
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

But Galileo himself was a Catholic and by no means an apostate. And the confusing and convoluted Galileo Affair revolves around, in part, over issues in which Galileo does not come out well. Such as, if I recall correctly, Galileo breaking promises he had made that he would treat astronomers who had criticized him more charitably.

Quite by accident, I have an extra copy of WOULD YOU BAPTIZE AN EXTRATERRESTRIAL?, by Brother Guy Consolmagno, SJ; and Fr. Paul Mueller, SJ. Too briefly, the authors discuss matters relating to science and faith and the questions many people send to the astronomers at the Vatican Observatory. Send me your snail mail address by email and I will gladly give it to you. I already have another copy!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Thank you. I have emailed my snail mail.
Galileo was Catholic, not apostate and partly in the wrong? Sure but I still think that Anderson could have intended the irony that I suggested or we can legitimately read it in the text. Was there not some ecclesiastical opposition to heliocentricity?
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Unfortunately, I have not received the email with your snail mail address. Try again, please.

I do see your point about PA at least partly intending to be "ironic," altho that was not the impression I got. And, yes, Galileo did have some ECCLESIASTICAL opposition to him, not just from other astronomers he quarreled with. This came from how deeply rooted Aristotelian philosophy, including Aristotle's scientific views, still was in Europe. Many men found it very difficult to mentally and emotionally adjusting points of view to accommodate new discoveries.

Sean

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to ask a really simplistic question but does 'WOULD YOU BAPTIZE AN EXTRATERRESTRIAL?' answer the question?

Paul Shackley said...

Dear Anon,
An excellent question! I will find out. I think the answer has to be that, if any rational being asks to be baptized - or indeed initiated into any other world religion - then it would wrong to refuse him/her/etc.
Paul.

Paul Shackley said...

Reading this book might lead to further posts on Fr Axor's quest in THE GAME OF EMPIRE.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Gentlemen:

A hasty note: I discussed this matter at some length in my essay "God and Alien in Anderson's Technic Civilization." One Catholic source gave a qualified "yes" to the question, pending a final decision by the Catholic Church on the matter of baptizing non human rational beings.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

All,
The essay to which Sean refers and others by him are on the Poul Anderson: Contributor Articles blog. See "My Other Blogs" on the top right hand corner of this page.
Paul.