Thursday 14 July 2016

Alter?

The Merman's Children.

Can "alter" be a noun? Yes:

one of the distinct identities or personality states manifested in an individual with multiple personality disorder
-copied from here

However, that meaning does not fit this context:

"They called up warning of a rock, and alter of a drifting boat, perhaps broken loose from a ship that was towing it." (p. 47)

I have been concentrating on terminology, language, prose and descriptions rather than on the plot because these are the aspects of a text that sf fans might not notice so much. Appreciating Poul Anderson on every level is quite hard work. I think that one of the magazines told me that they did not publish literary criticism - although I do not remember which one.

I will shortly go out for part of the evening so there will be a temporary halt to reading and posting although I think that we have had quite a lot for today. I have stayed indoors and taken it easy at least in a physical sense. 

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I admire your zeal in commenting on or analyzing the works of Poul Anderson and several other writers. I hope your labors in this blog will become among the PRIME sources for the study and appreciating of Anderson's books.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Thank you. This blog is only possible because there is so much to be found in Poul Anderson's texts.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I absolutely agree!

Sean