Wednesday 6 July 2016

The Twilight Of The Elves

(Image: an electrum coin.)

Poul Anderson, The Broken Sword (London, 1977).

"Shields blinked along the wales..." (p. 95)

"...a jewelled dagger in an electrum sheath..." (p. 97)

Are the elves about to meet their "twilight" at the hands of the trolls? Meanwhile:

"The cool blue twilight loved of the elves seemed to drift like smoke through the hall..." (p. 97)

Freda cannot see the far wall and only glimpses "...the vine-carved rafters." (ibid.) There is another food list, shorter than usual:

meat
fowl
fish
fruits
spices
confections
ales
meads
wines

The elves feast before their new war with the trolls.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I've tried to find this seemingly odd use of "wales" in my 1971 copy of the Del Rey/Ballantine Books edition of THE BROKEN SWORD, but failed. I assume GUNWALES is meant.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
"...wales..." is in paragraph 4 of Chapter XIV. In my post, I linked to a dictionary definition of "wale."
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Dang! It was in Chapter XV I was trying to find this use of "wales." Page 95 of my copy of THE BROKEN SWORD is in that chapter, not XIV. The pagination of different sizes and editions of the same book can be a real drag!

And that use of "wales" in Chapter XIV is plainly nautical, meaning "gunwales."

Sean