Friday 12 August 2016

Fantasy And Reality

Poul Anderson, Operation Chaos (New York, 1995).

"'...the Trollburg garrison has an afreet.'
"I whistled, and a chill crawled along my spine. The Caliphate had exploited the Powers recklessly - that was one reason why the rest of the Moslem world regarded them as heretics and hated them as much as we did - " (p. 8)

That sounds familiar, almost prophetic.

"- but I never thought they'd go as far as breaking Solomon's seal. An afreet getting out of hand could destroy more than anybody cared to estimate." (ibid.)

- like terrorists with nukes. Why has that not happened yet? (I can't say "thank God," except metaphorically.) Fiction, including fantasy, reflects reality.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Now that you mentioned it, the hatred most or many Muslims had for the Caliphate of OPERATION CHAOS reminded me of the hatred many Shias and Sunnis have for each other.

And I too dread the prospect of nuclear armed terrorists. I think it's a matter of WHEN it will happen, not "if." I've not read it, but Tom Kratman's novel CALIPHATE speculates about what might happen if fanatical Muslims detonate nukes in the US. A scenario I find all too dismally plausible.

Sean