Wednesday 7 December 2016

Cosmology And Mythology!

Modern scientific cosmology and ancient Greek mythology: that is how versatile science fiction, and time travel as a science fictional concept, are.

Poul Anderson's Time Patrol are the police force for the anthropic principle whereas, in an entirely different continuum, one of SM Stirling's Nantucketers recites the Odyysey to Odyyseus.

I don't think it gets any better than this but, if it does, I would like to hear about it. Meanwhile - my Pagan friends prepare for Yule.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And Christians are preparing for Christmas. The first and second Sundays of Advent has already come and gone.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Of course! I would have said that on my next post but I decided to say something else first. Happy Christmas!
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Many thanks! I think, before the Gregorian reform of the Calendar, Christmas used to be celebrated on the Winter Solstice, December 25. The reform calendar had the solstice falling four or five days earlier, but everyone was so used to December 25 as Christmas day that it was not changed.

Sean