Monday 24 April 2017

Wellsian Reference

For a neat literary reference to HG Wells, apart from the silk top hat, check out pp. 199-200 of John C. Wright's The Golden Age (New York, 2003). I did not get it until I had reached the end of p. 199. A clue, if you want it, is in the image for this post. Sf writers should acknowledge Wells as Poul Anderson does at least twice.

I apologize for the brevity of this post but I really must get out of here and do something else. Three posts have been published over an extended breakfast. Self-indulgence on my part.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Is your copy of Wright's THE GOLDEN AGE a paperback? I tried to find the Wells reference on pages 199-200 of my hardback copy, but it was not there.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
OK. Sorry. I was hoping this wouldn't happen again. I will revert to giving Chapter references every time and will clarify any previous references that you have trouble finding. yes, my copy is a paperback. In this particular case, the reference should be: Chapter 13, The Mass Mind, section 1, a page or so into the section.
Paul.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

A paragraph beginning: "A three-legged walking cart..."

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Apologies, for how my preference for hardbacks keeps complicating thins for you.

And I looked up the Wellsian reference! It's on page 175 of my copy of THE GOLDEN AGE. Very cool, how the AI Rhadamanthus chose to appear to Daphne looking like one of Wells invaders from Mars!

Sean