Wednesday 6 September 2017

To All Blog Readers

(S.M. Stirling, George R.R. Martin and Walter Jon Williams.)

If you read the blog posts, then please also read the comments. Recently, many comments have conveyed far more information than I would have thought was possible about apparently minor points in the posts, like Australian slang here, what Dominic Flandry might have meant by the Second Sugimoto here and the significance of Kamakura. There is more. These are just three random examples before breakfast (two poached eggs on toast, orange juice and coffee).

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I'm still baffled by what Flandry could have meant by "Second Sugimoto"! I know David suggested it was an earlier period in the history of the Terran Empire, but it still "feels" like Flandry meant a period of Japanese history.

And I'm glad Mr. Stirling finds your blog interesting enough that he drops by to leave comments so often!

Sean

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Sean!

I took a Japanese history course in college (and got an A+), and I don't recall ever hearing of a Second Sugimoto, or even a First Sugimoto, so I'm also inclined to believe that it was an earlier period in the history of the Terran Empire, or at least something in post-twentieth century history.

Best Regards,
Nicholas D. Rosen

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Nicholas!

I too took courses in Chinese and Japanese history, and I agree, no mention was made of any kind of Sugimoto periods. I still don't think "Second Sugimoto" refers to anything in the history the Terran Empire, but perhaps during either the Commonwealth or the Time of Troubles?

Regards! Sean