Wednesday 1 November 2017

The Bible In The Day Of Their Return

"A Note on Anderson's Use of the Bible" by Sean M. Brooks (here)
"More Lasting Than Bronze" (here)
"The Peregrine II" (here)
"One More Biblical Quotation" (here)
"Different Uses Of The Bible In Fiction" (here)
"Different Uses Of The Bible In Fiction II" (here)
"Uses Of The Bible" (here)
"Uses Of The Bible II And More About Venus" (here)
"What Is Truth?" (here)
"'What Is Truth?' (Again)" (here)

I have linked to these earlier posts because I now want to mention that Poul Anderson's The Day Of Their Return begins with a quotation from Job iv 12-16. Further, Chapter 1 begins:

"On the third day he arose, and ascended again to the light."
-Poul Anderson, The Day Of Their Return IN Anderson, Captain Flandry: Defender Of The Terran Empire (Riverdale, NY, 2010), pp. 75-240 AT p. 75.

Later, there is discussion of the status and significance of miracles and specifically of the Resurrection of Christ. See "The High Commander." (here)

Thus, more uses of the Bible.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Thanks for citing my incomplete article discussing Anderson's use of the Bible. I said "incomplete" because I KNOW I have not tracked down every quote from the Scriptures in Anderson's works.

I was impressed by Poul Anderson's quote from the Book of Job that I wrote under it in my copy of THE DAY OF THEIR RETURN the same text from a later translation of the Bible (the New American Bible). It helps to see to see how two different versions rendered the Hebrew text (I assume PA used the Authorized Version).

Sean