Thursday 15 March 2018

Rich Texts, Drink And Food

My criterion of the richness of a text is how many posts I can get out of it. Poul Anderson's "A Message in Secret" is rich indeed. However, having again reached its conclusion, I will shortly embark on the next Captain Flandry installment, "The Plague of Masters."

After months on the Altaian steppes, Flandry learns that he will soon return Home and rhapsodizes:

brandy;
tobacco;
India tea;
shrimp mayonnaise;
gray Riesling;
air conditioning.

As in Ian Fleming's James Bond series, the reader vicariously shares exacting adventures followed by compensatory high living.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think I remember Flandry grumbling to himself in "A Message in Secret" that he could have been living comfortably on Terra lying about his adventures to a pretty girl; but no, he had to go and actually DO those adventures! (Smiles)

Sean