Tuesday 10 July 2012

In The Beginning, Were The Sites...

Let me explain the rationale behind this blog. Blog posts vary from very brief notes to long, substantial articles. Both kinds are here but the latter are earlier and there is a reason why. I have two websites: www.paulshackley.co.uk and www.jamesblishappreciation.co.uk.

The first has sections, including "Science Fiction." I focus on certain sf writers: British (Wells, Stapledon, Lewis and Aldiss) and American (the interconnected group of Heinlein, Asimov, Blish, Anderson and Niven). "Time Travel", CS Lewis, Robert Heinlein and Poul Anderson grew to become independent sections.

It is my hope that any information placed on the Internet will remain indefinitely accessible. However, sites cease to exist as soon as they stop being paid for. My IT adviser, Ketlan, informed me that blogs are free and can be expected to remain in existence as long as Google does. Consequently, the entire contents of both sites have been copied to seven linked blogs, including this one.

I had written articles on entire series by Anderson, e.g., the Technic History and the Time Patrol, or, within the former, the Flandry series and the Long Night. Currently, I am rereading separate works and blogging while rereading. Thus, the length and nature of the entries has changed. I hope both that the current posts may be of interest, sometimes highlighting details that other readers might have forgotten or overlooked, and also that those interested in Anderson's works will scroll back to earlier entries.

No comments: