Friday 6 December 2013

Looking Ahead

I really do need to slow down with this blog. Sooner rather than later I will come to an end of new Poul Anderson works to read or reread. The blog is now in its twenty second month and began with articles copied from a website. Only Anderson's amazing and admirable prolificity has kept us going this long.

Still to do:

finish rereading The Makeshift Rocket;
read Star Prince Charlie, which should be in the post;
also receive by post The Horn Of Time, which contains perhaps one as yet unread story;
check through other collections here for any unread stories (doubtful);
maybe get the second and third mystery novels, although these were unpalatably pricey when checked on Amazon;
when it is published, get Multiverse, the collection about Poul Anderson, which will be a major event.

But, after that, will there be more new collections or editions worthy of attention and discussion?

Meanwhile, there is no need to hurry. On this blog, I have drawn attention to some parallels between Poul Anderson and Neil Gaiman, notably their inns between the worlds and their treatments of Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream and The Tempest. Stage or screen drama is a familiar alternative to prose fiction but another alternative, which I will now pursue, is the graphic (visual and verbal) fantasy of Gaiman's Sandman.

2 comments:

Paul Shackley said...

I have posted about SANDMAN: PRELUDES & NOCTURNES on www.comicsappreciation.blogspot.co.uk.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Hi, Paul!

So this blog devoted largely to discussion of the works of Poul Anderson has lasted 22 months? Congratulations!

I am impatient to get my copy of the long delayed volume honoring Poul Anderson called MULTIVERSE. I'm anxious to see how other authors handled characters and themes from Anderson's works. With care and respect I hope!

I checked, and the cheapest copy I found of MURDER BOUND is 27 dollars US (minus shipping and postage). And MURDER IN BLACK LETTER is very costly!

I look forward to any comments you care to make about "The High Ones" (collected in THE HORN OF TIME). Esp. if you compare that story to "The Pugilist," a later story speculating on what might have happened if the USSR had triumphed.

Don't forget to check out the New England Science Fiction Association! It's preparing another collection of short stories by Anderson for publication called A BICYCLE BUILT FOR BREW. Granted, It's probably mostly stories you already have from other sources.

I think there may be as many as sixty or seventy stories by Anderson which has never yet been collected and republished. I hope somebody eventually concentrates on a volume called FORGOTTEN STORIES OF POUL ANDERSON.

And we both agree on the need for a COMPLETE COLLECTED WORKS OF POUL ANDERSON. I would be glad to donate to the funds that would be needed for such a thing. I can easily imagine you working as an editor on that project if it ever actually happened! (Smiles)

Sean