Thursday 9 April 2015

War On Ishtar II

Poul Anderson, Fire Time (St Albans, Herts, 1977).

"The ground was padded with cerulean turf." (p. 231)

That is the sort of word that I think I know the meaning of...

"...a ram hung on chains under a testudo..." (p. 237)

I did not know what that was.

Dejerine refers to a furnace and Jill sings, "'Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego -'" (p. 234)

How many readers get that reference?

Dejerine quotes, "For now thou numberest my steps...," which turns out to be Job.

The word "'...laren...'" (p. 227) is used as an endearment but I did not find it on google.

On facing pages, Anderson shows us the glory of war:

"At dawn the males took arms again, said their last farewells, and streamed outside. Ohai-ah, what a valiant sight!" (p. 242)

- and the horror of war:

"A ring of unvaporized casualties lay around...Part of that meat moved..." (p. 243)

Arnanak's death dream is an Ishtarian Valhalla:

"'It is the time,' Arnanak called, and, 'Yai,' Larreka said. Joyous, every Tassu and legionary who had ever fallen in battle followed them, upward on the windy ways to where the huge red chaos of the Rover awaited their onslaught." (p. 242)

Dead warriors who were enemies fight the Demon Sun.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Well, I knew of the Biblical reference you made. The Hymn of the Three Boys found in the Book of Daniel. And I think Anderson gave us a long quote from the Bible after the nuclear bomb was used.

Yes, we see both the glory and horror of war in FIRE TIME.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Yes. That would be Dejerine's JOB quote.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

So PA was quoting the book of Job? I should find the exact reference and have it included in my list of Andersonian quotes from the Bible. Poul Anderson has used the Bible more than most SF writers do.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Yes, it is the "For now thou numberest my steps..." quote mentioned in the post.
Paul.