Friday 16 October 2015

Reading History

Poul Anderson's Time Patrol series requires us to think about history. Only thus can we appreciate the significance of Cyrus, Scipio, Stane etc. Who was Stane? He was one whom the Patrol prevented from having any influence - but we must still understand the post-Roman British history that he tried to alter.

We might go on to read some history and, of course, we need not restrict our attention to the periods directly covered by Time Patrol stories. Manse Everard does not have any mission in Russia, 1917-1989. However, he does refer to it. More importantly, what happened in Russia resulted from the Great War which, as Anderson does tell us, ended an era that had started in 1815.

Thus, I feel that my current reading of Alexander Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago is very much Patrol-related. And this is our history, not just Everard's. Meanwhile, Anderson's Mother Of Kings is still on the agenda.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm interested, and pleased, that you at least partially changed your mind about the relevance of Solzhenitsyn's THE GULAG ARCHIPELAGO for the "Poul Anderson Appreciation Blog."

I hope you will forgive me if I briefly discuss some of A.S' other books here. For what I consider a VERY good look at what life was like in Russia during the fateful year 1914, recommend AUGUST 1914. By then, because of the October Manifesto of 1905 and the reforms of Peter Stolypin, many many things were FINALLY going right for Russia. Another ten years of peace and I don't think Lenin would have been able to seize power. Other books of A.S. I've read are NOVEMBER 1916, THE FIRST CIRCLE, CANCER WARD, ONE DAY IN THE LIFE OF IVAN DENISOVICH, THE OAK AND THE CALF, etc.

Sean