Saturday 12 August 2017

Survival And Adaptation

Skilfully, SM Stirling makes his Emberversers remind themselves and thus also us of family relationships and tribal alliances, which have become complicated since the Change.This series, like Poul Anderson's Maurai History, The Winter Of The World and Twilight World and like Stirling's own The Peshawar Lancers, is a tribute to the human capacity to survive and adapt in the face of adversity.

Emberversers must respond not only to material impoverishment but also to new direct interventions by beings like Odin, the Triple Goddess and the Virgin Mary. Many believe that we already inhabit such a world of divine interventions but I differentiate, with the flaming sword of Manjushri, between imagination (mythology and fantasy) and intellect (philosophy and science). I want to know more both about the gods in the Emberverse and about the one transcendent reality that is here and now - although the latter requires a third faculty: intuition (meditation and wisdom).

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I would suggest that in his "alternate history" books Stirling has surpassed Anderson's pioneering works in this sub-genre of SF. E.g., we learn get far more DETAILS about the politics and family interrelationships involved than in similar Anderson stories.

However, I still would argue that no one has yet surpassed PA in writing hard SF, such as his late phase HARVEST OF STARS books. Altho I'm glad other writers, like John Wright are again writing hard Sf. And Anderson would not oppose such successors striving to surpass him!

Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Sean: I'd agree with that last, I think. Poul had a very broad range of skills.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Dear Mr. Stirling,

Thanks! I have seen comments by various writers of how PA helped them in this or that scientific point. And what I have noticed in much of current science fiction is how little of it seems to be set in either the Solar System or around other stars in more or less our "real" timeline. Something I regret. And that helps to explain why I so enjoyed your Lords of Creation books, even tho set in "alternate histories." Alternate history hard science fiction, iow.

Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

One of my prouder moments was Poul consulting me on a fight scene. That was an honor!

Sean M. Brooks said...

Dear Mr. Stirling,

It certainly was! Do you recall which book PA was working on when he consulted you about that problem he had?

Sean