Friday 6 October 2017

Outlaws?

I am picking up the threads of Poul Anderson's The Snows Of Ganymede after the long digression of rereading Anderson's Genesis in its entirety. Davenant has an expensive "...general unit..." (The Snows Of Ganymede (New York, 1958), Chapter 7, p. 68). What is it? I will continue to read.

Law breakers can become "'Outlaws...'" (ibid.) on a planetary surface where it is possible to live in the wild but how feasible is this on Ganymede where the only way to travel between sealed artificial environments is in a spacesuit or in a completely enclosed vehicle?

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm a slow reader, hence I'm only just starting to read the last chapter of Anderson's THERMONUCLEAR WARFARE, but I'm thinking of rereading either THE SNOWS OF GANYMEDE or GENESIS.

Yes, it would be much easier for outlaws to survive in a TERRESTROID environment than a place like Ganymeded, requiring as it does costly and high tech equipment and life support systems. Think I will reread SNOWS next.

Sean