Friday 6 October 2017

They Also Serve

"They also serve who only stand and wait...'"
-Poul Anderson, The Snows Of Ganymede (New York, 1958), Chapter 9, p. 87.

A Planetary Engineer quotes Milton, whom we have previously quoted, or referred to, on:

Precosmic Chaos
Water As Chaos
The Devil Speaks
the Childe Cycle (here)
"dismal universal hiss" (here)
the hereafter (here)
polytheism (here)
"Darkness Visible"
Many Gods
the "Paradise of Fools" (here)
Fictional Histories... (here)
Death
Retellings
"Some mute inglorious Milton..." (here)

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I have to believe it when many people whose word is worthy of credence argue that John Milton was a great poet. Alas, I'm not a Milton fan. It was a hard struggle for me to slog thru PARADISE LOST. I found the poem to be mostly dull, tedious, heavy, and ponderous reading.

I vastly prefer Dante's DIVINE COMEDY, even tho I had to read it in translation (I have three different translations, btw). Dante made me INTERESTED in his story, and he know HOW to tell a story readers would WANT to read. I've sometimes quoted Dante in this blog as well.

Sean