Saturday 18 November 2017

"Ghetto"

Poul Anderson's Kith future history exists in two versions. See The Two Kith Future Histories here:

the Star Empire exists in the first version though not in the second;

the first version begins with the short story, "Ghetto," whereas the second version comprises the novel, Starfarers, and Chapter 21 of that novel is a revision of "Ghetto";

The Kith history exists in two forms, the first emphasizing trade, the second emphasizing exploration.
-copied from here. 

I propose to discuss Starfarers Chapter 21 in a post about "Class Warriors" (see Two Good Ideas here) but not at this time of night, having just driven back from an annual dinner out in the country. Reading, rereading and blogging continue but at a reduced rate because Earth Real is as eventful as the Earths of fictional timelines. Lenin's The State And Revolution is unfinished because it was interrupted by the outbreak of the October Revolution in 1917. I do not expect events on that scale in Britain in 2017 - although you never know - but meanwhile personal life remains eventful enough. Meanwhile also someone else might reread "Ghetto" or Starfarers Chapter 21 and tell me what they think?

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'll be very interested in what you think of "Ghetto" and Anderson's revision of that story for Chapter 21 of STARFARERS.
I have both versions, so I think I will again read them both.

And that EVIL man Lenin never finished his tract THE STATE AND REVOLUTION because he was busy betraying Russia, undermining the Provisional Gov't, and plotting to grab power in 1917, which he unfortunately managed to do in October/November. I know they couldn't have possibly imagined the horrors Lenin would unleash, but I have often wished Prince George Lvov or Alexander Kerensky had had the foresight to have Lenin shot!

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I probably won't compare "Ghetto" and its revision, just (when I get around to it) focus on the passage about economic conflicts of interest - but that might involve comparing the two versions, of course.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Understood. I'll still read such comments with interest. And I've started rereading the original version of "Ghetto."

Sean