Friday 8 December 2017

A Link

http://assets.fightland.com/content-images/contentimage/53456/teddy3.jpg

SM Stirling posted the above link in the combox here. On my screen, links do not work in the combox although they do work in the email notifications that I receive of new combox comments. I have, letter by letter and symbol by symbol, reproduced the link here on this post (see above) but it doesn't work here either, at least not for me. However, when I spelled out the link in the search box at the top of the screen, it did work, showing a photo of the young Teddy Roosevelt which I have saved and have now copied to this post (see image). Sorry for this complication. Time for me to have some breakfast, do some grocery shopping, meet a friend for lunch, visit Ketlan, then greet Sheila on her return from a few days holiday in Torquay. Maybe some blogging after that.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Thanks for all this trouble you take! I was interested enough to attempt finding pictures of the young Theodore Roosevelt. But I think I missed seeing this one. He certainly looks ready and willing to do SOMETHING far too painfully strenuous and active for my taste! (Smiles)

Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Yup. He was very sickly as a small child, and started on a project of self-construction that he continued his whole life. By the time he was a young man, even hardened frontiersmen were awed by his utter indifference to hardship.

His response to waking up with three inches of snow on his bedding on a hunting trip was to spring up and proclaim: "This is bully!"

And while bringing in some miscreants through a hundred miles of trackless wilderness (they'd stolen his boat at his ranch -- an epic, too complex to go into here) he kept awake by reading to them all night from "Anna Karenina".

Sean M. Brooks said...

Dear Mr. Stirling,

I'm awed by the achievements of Teddy Roosevelt. AND I had to laugh at the bit about him reading aloud to thieves from Tolstoy's novel ANNA KARENINA.

I was also reminded of Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany. His birth was so badly bungled that he was left with a permanently crippled arm. But Wilhelm DROVE himself to over come this handicap, learning how to swim and shoot and all the other things people with two good arms can do. I have to respect that!

Sean