Friday 1 December 2017

Life On Jupiter II

See Life On Jupiter.

Because high mountains are rare, Jovian life has not had time to adapt to them. Theor climbs with all six limbs over rattling talus slopes - another indication of how Earth-like this version of Jupiter is. I tried to find an image of talus with as little life as possible.

Ammonia vapor blown from the sea condenses into rivers. Cloud banks are brown, onsy or tawr and Theor's feelers detect unfamiliar taste-odors. Thus, three senses, two combined.

A friendly voice on the communicator would have comforted Theor. I think that about mobile phones. Texting a friend is like praying, knowing that the prayer is heard and might be answered.

On the subject of prayer as such, a Mormon missionary advised me to ask God the Father in the name of His Son for the truth on religious matters so I did, before meditating. What answer I received is between me and God, of course.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Even if now thought inaccurate, these details about Jupiter from Anderson's THREE WORLDS TO CONQUER are fascinating! MY idea of hard SF!

What you said about the Mormon missionary reminds me of how I've read that Mormons often ask non Mormons to read their "Book of Mormon," because they claim such readers will get a burning, heart felt conviction this book is RIGHT.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

How untrue!

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

About the "Book of Mormon"? I agree!

Sean

Jim Baerg said...

I have heard that Mark Twain called the Book of Mormon 'chloroform in print'. ;)

About talus slopes.
In my experience going up one is *difficult*.
If the scree pieces are not too large, going down one is great fun.
I have some pictures I took after going down one of other people coming down.
I suppose I could email them if anyone is interested.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

What Mark Twain said about the BOM was amusing! What I know about the Mormons came from reading Isaiah Bennett's INSIDE MORMONISM, written by an ex-Mormon convert. A gentle, friendly, but severe examination of LDS theology, scriptures, and beliefs.

Ad astra! Seam