Monday 18 December 2017

Sea Flows; Wind Blows

A passage in Neil Gaiman's The Sandman: Worlds' End struck me as evocative and Andersonian - and also familiar, as if I had posted about it before. I had. See Wild Wind And Wild Magic.

In the Bible, the sea represents precosmic chaos. In Poul Anderson's works, the wind sometimes represents the elements that pre-existed and still threaten civilization. See The Wind II. The wind wails in pathetic fallacies and almost becomes a character although I would have to search further to find the posts where I discussed the almost-personified wind. There is a lot about the wind (search result) on the blog.

Later: See the role of the wind in Marital Rape, in Prose Packed With Meaning and in Ys Gleams; Wind Mourns.

The title of this post refers to Portrait Of Jennie.

No comments: