Monday 19 March 2018

Barbarians Indeed

(You behold Jeeves and Wooster. See here.)

Dominic Flandry, wincing at garish color combinations in an Ardazirho kilt, comments:

"'Barbarians indeed...I hope Chives can stand the shock.'"
-Poul Anderson, "Hunters of the Sky Cave" IN Anderson, Sir Dominic Flandry: The Last Knight Of Terra (Riverdale, NY, 2012), pp. 149-301 AT VII, p. 200.

I think it turns out that the Ardazirho see in different wavelengths. Be that as it may, I also think that Chives is clearly based on Jeeves.

In one scene, Jeeves admits Bingo Little to Wooster's apartment. Looking ill, he retires to the kitchen and sits down, head in hand. Wooster, concerned, follows and asks, "I say, Jeeves, are you all right?" Jeeves replies, "Excuse me, Sir. Unforgivable of me! Mr Little's tie has little horseshoes all over it!" Wooster says, "Yes, I know. Ghastly, isn't it?"

Both gentleman and valet had noticed the revolting tie. However, Jeeves is a much more sensitive soul than his social superior.

4 comments:

David Birr said...

I feel a sudden, iconoclastic urge to have some red wine with fish, just to be "barbarian." Although I detest wine. It must be my savage tribal heritage (Marcomanni) coming to the fore.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I can understand why or how Chives reminds you of Jeeves. But I would also compare Chives to Mr. Bunter, Lord Peter Wimsey's valet. Because both Chives and Bunter, when they had to be, could be very dangerous. Jeeves never needed to be like that.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Chives did fight in the Dennitzan Parliament.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And, earlier, attacked Duke Alfred's palace in "Warriors From Nowhere," and "disintegrated" the duke himself! Chives was much MORE than simply a butler, valet, and chef (altho he certainly performed those functions admirably).

Sean