Saturday 10 March 2018

Flandry: Personal Details And Subversion

"Tiger by the Tail" tells us two personal details about Dominic Flandry. His hobbies include planetary art forms and history.

I searched the blog for "Flandry On Scotha" in order to access my earlier summaries of Flandry's subversive activities on Scotha. See here.

How about this cover which I found by googling?

That is all for now until maybe some time later this evening or tomorrow, Mother's Day.

Postscript: A Scothan sentry holds his dirk straight up in salute. ERB's Barsoomians salute by raising their swords and shouting the greeting which also gives assent, "Kaor!" - meaning both "Hail!" and "Aye!"

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And of course everybody who regularly reads your blog is aware of my geekish fondness for using ERB's "Kaor"!

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I thought it was about time "Kaor" was translated!
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

All readers of ERB's Barsoom stories should know what "Kaor" means! But I admit to not having known it also meant "Aye" as well as "hail."

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
It gives assent. When a court decrees, "No longer may John Carter be Prince of Helium! Instead let him be - Jeddak of Jeddaks, Warlord of Barsoom!," all the warriors present give their assent by raising their swords and shouting, "Kaor!"
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Very cool, that bit from ERB. Reminds me of how Roman soldiers would cry "Ave, Caesar!" to a new Emperor. Only goes to show it's probably time I started rereading his Barsoom stories. But I also want to read the revised AGENT OF THE TERRAN EMPIRE after I finish A CIRCUS OF HELLS.

Sean