Wednesday 7 March 2018

The Milky Way An Icefall

Poul Anderson describes a night sky on the human-colonized planet, Aeneas. Both moons are aloft. The lower moon moves visibly and:

"Stars crowded velvet blackness. The Milky Way was an icefall."
-Poul Anderson, The Day Of Their Return IN Anderson, Captain Flandry: Defender Of The Terran Empire (Riverdale, NY, 2010), pp. 74-238 AT 9, p. 148.

In Anderson's works, the Milky Way is often described as seen at night or from space. Each time, I think, the description is different.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Because of all these recent discussions of the Flandry stories I started rereading A CIRCUS OF HELLS on Monday. I'll be trying to watch out for when the stars and the Milky Way are mentioned.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Good stuff.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

A CIRCUS OF HELLS is a very good book! And I started rereading that book because of how fond I am of the opening paragraph of the first chapter of CIRCUS. Another favorite is the first paragraph of Chapter I of WE CLAIM THESE STARS.

Sean