Wednesday 18 April 2018

The Station Hotel And Gnarly Trees

Shortly, Sheila and I will drive to the Station Hotel, Caton, to meet Kevin, Joan, John and Fiona for a meal. Meanwhile, let me leave this question for Poul Anderson fans: on how many Andersonian planets are there "gnarly trees"? (Scroll down.)

I have posted about some but am sure that there are more. Were there some on Gwydion? I find a phrase in one work by Anderson and think that I remember reading it in others. It is not always possible to know which words or phrases to note when reading through a novel or short story.

Tomorrow, we - or at least I - will continue to reread the rich text of "Starfog," to be followed by the rich text of "A Tragedy of Errors." We have come to the end of the Technic History but skipped over some installments en route so might turn back to reassess those.

After that, who knows?

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Besides the examples of "gnarly trees" that you linked to, this is what I found in Chapter III of THE NIGHT FACE: "For a moment Raven wanted to speak of Lochlann--of mountains which rose sheer into a red-sun sky, trees dwarfed and gnarled by incessant winds,..."

Sean